Saturday, July 28, 2007

Book swap

I've accumulated a few books that I'd like to move out. Rather than throwing them away (or donating to my local library - which seems to be focused more on baby sitting than providing literature) I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in swapping. I figure it's a good way to score some new books cheaply since my local library doesn't seem interested. Don't get me wrong - I like and support (good) libraries and bookstores. But since Barnes & Noble and Borders have driven out my local favorites, I don't feel too guilty about trying to save a little money. Besides, reuse is a good thing, right?

I'd like to swap one/one, or two paperback for one hardcover. Most of these are fairly recent and all are in good condition (read once and shelved). For this to work, we would probably need to have similar tastes. Or maybe not... who knows? Anyway my current interests seem to run toward travel narrative and living abroad type stories, usually humorous but not necessarily. Also like *good* current fiction and classics although I don't have any to trade at the moment.

So with that said, here's my list. I'll update to show what's been claimed (if this actually works).

If you see something you like and would like to swap, drop me a line (taztaylor@gmail.com) or leave a comment.

Peter Mayle:
A Year in Provence
Tourjours Provence
Encore Provence
*A Good Year
French Lessons
Acquired Tastes
Anything Considered
Chasing Cezanne
A Dog's Life

Stephen Clarke:
*A Year in the Merde
*In the Merde for Love
*Talk to the Snail

Bill Bryson:
*A Walk in the Woods
*In a Sunburned Country
I'm a Stranger Here Myself
Neither Here Nor There
The Lost Continent

Tim Moore
*French Revolutions
Frost on My Moustache
*Travels with My Donkey

Kurt Vonnegut:
*Timequake
*Hocus Pocus
*A Man Without a Country

France and French Life/Culture:

An Englishman in Paris - Michael Sadler
An Englishman a la Campagne - Michael Sadler
Paris to the Moon - Adam Gopnik
The Magic of Provence - Yvone Lenard
A Walk Across France - Miles Morland
Paris in the Fifties - Stanley Karnow
A French Affair - Mary Blume
On Rue Tatin - Susan Herrmann Loomis
Spotted in France - Gregory Edmont
Almost French - Sarah Turnbull
We'll Always Have Paris - John Baxter
Paris and Elsewhere - Julian Barnes
Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong - Jean Benoit Nadeau

Japan:

*Japanland (A Year in Search of Wa) - Karin Muller
*Wrong About Japan - Peter Carey
Lost Japan - Alex Kerr
Learning to Bow - Bruce Feiler

Other Travel/Living Abroad:

A Vroom with a View
That Fine Italian Hand - Paul Hoffman
Whiteout (Lost in Aspen) - Ted Conover
How Not to Live Abroad - Shaun Briley
A Trip to the Beach - Melinda and Robert Blanchard
Avoiding Prison and Other Noble Vacation Goals -

To Have and Have Not - Ernest Hemmingway

Starship Titanic - Douglas Adams/Terry Jones
Last Chance to See - Douglas Adams

*The Pleasure of My Company - Steve Martin
*Shopgirl - Steve Martin

Books with an * asterisk are hard cover. All others are trade paperbacks (not mass market paperbacks).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found a great site for trading local college books. Have you all heard about Fast Book Swap? The site is www.fastbookswap.com, it looks great and they are having a $500 book scholarship! I signed up I hope I get it! It is a new site so I may win it the next drawing! You can swap, buy, or sell you college textbooks, for totally free!